Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Parabens and Products

So, it's been a little while since I've posted and I apologize for those who are keeping track. I have been doing lots of research! Truly, my goal for my products is to provide people with natural stuff. So, I want to help inform people of things after I learn them. I want people to know that I'm truly paying attention and not just trying to make a couple dollars off of something I make.
Boy does it take a lot of research though!!!

So, topic for today is about parabens. What do we know about them? Well, they are chemically based preservatives that are often used in cosmetics and soap products. Since Kind Light wants to aim for natural, we said "hmm, how can we make things that will suit our naturalists?" Well, I've come to a conclusion about one main thing- that if you want a really long shelf life (water and moist bacteria included) a little parabens are not as bad for our bodies as the commercial based stuff. Why? Because commercial products throw in A LOT of stuff and they have to compensate a really long shelf life with extreme amounts of parabens to avoid all their distributors getting angry..
The little man business though, we can use smaller dosages that don't actually affect your body in extreme ways. In fact, most concerns about parabens don't even exist within small cosmetic companies because the amount used is so slight. The goal is simply this- keeping product integrity. We don't want to provide you something that will go bad quickly. If we did that, then you might as well make it all at home (and not everyone has the time or money to maintain all the products and make them everyday).
A great alternative to Germaben (which is a slight paraben we use from time to time) is Grapefruit seed or Vitamin E, however- these wonderful additives may not be strong enough to ward off all those nasty bacteria types building their own immune systems.. So, while not exactly our favorite item- parabens are sometimes necessary. And although deemed harsh in large quantities (as most commercial products press in) it's actually deemed worthy in some products made from the small companies as it's intentions are not to harm the body but to keep harm out of the product and maintain its integrity.

I know that some may not agree- but after long hours of reading and research, this is my conclusion. I feel Kind Light deserves to be kept safe and shelf life long enough to truly enjoy.
I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Please leave comments kind if you have a compelling argument!
Thank you for reading,
Kristi- Kind Light Candles

No comments:

Post a Comment